What is Acid Rain ?
It is a specific form of precipitation which is acidic. It has elevated levels of hydrogen ions. It can harmful effect on plants aquatic animal, infrastructure.
Acid Rain occurs when certain emissions come into contact with the water of the atmosphere. Learn everything about it in this article and info graphic.
it is a precipitate in any of the following forms
Which contains high level of acid which are
- Sulfuric acid
- Nitric acid
Which are the constituent of following
- 70% derived from oxydation and hydrolysis of Sulfur die oxide and hydrogen sulfide.
- 30% derived from various nitric oxides and other compounds.
Both Sulphur and nitrogen emission attributed to the burning of the fossil fuels.
- Last edited 150 years there are increment in the fossil fuel consumption which rises in carbon, sulfur, nitrogen oxides.
- Also SO2 gas emitted by the power station , cars and lorries.
- If it is very pure. Its pH should be 7.
- If its pH is less than 7 which is mildly acidic.
Acid Rain industry advanced cities like toranto and loss angeles of USA Sometime average rainfall becomes 3.5 and 2.2 respectively.
- Most acidic rainfall recorded in US having pH 1.4 .
- Most acidic rainfall in India is founded in the Chembur in Mumbai and also in indraprasth delhi . Has pH 3.5.
it directly damage the architecture, structure and monument.
NOTE- Most fish species die when pH less than 5.
How to stop Acid Rain?
The only way to stop it is to reduce emissions that cause it.
This involves betting on renewable energy sources and reducing the use of fossil fuels in the industrial and automotive sector and in the daily life of every citizen.
Science Reporter Notes about Science click here