Nutrition is an essential part of better health and the ancient systems of medicines followed that principal health and nutrition contribute to human capital formation and the growth and development of a nation.
It is time to consider new approaches to tackle double burden of malnutrition andar nutrition and obesity at the same time. The focused attention and tailor-made stretches for specifically level population groups such as women in reproductive age group children and all rural residents are needed.
The interlinking between health and nutrition has been recognised scenes ages good nutritional status ensure that individual can fight diseases causing agents stage healthy reproductive to the society and contribute to overall development.
The challenge of nutrition is multilayered. The terminology of malnutrition is commonly used to capture the under and over utilisation and the rated challenges. How your in a particular setting version was predominantly of half one type of malnutrition.
It is being recognised that in many settings and countries both under and over nutrition are increasing as an emerging challenges described as double burden of malnutrition. The DBM coexist in many settings and effect of health outcomes and survival of population. While undernutrition continues to be measured pressing challenges in India the issues of overnutrition is also. Therefore it is time that India also shifts attention on holistic approach of targeting malnutrition with focus and appropriate strategies to tackle DBM.
Health and nutrition The way forward
There has been some progress on improving nutritional status of population in India. How you are India of 2020 needs to do more than what has been done in the past. A few suggestion are as follows not necessary in same order.
- Integrated health and nutrition initiatives with closer collaboration of health women and child development and educational departments. This has already started to happen through three as AWW, ASHA and ANM as of now but require improved performance of these mechanisms.
- Diversification of supply of food under government programs including more nutritions items such as millets, eggs, milk soybean and nutrient rich foods. Mass fortification of rice wheat salt edible oils and salt with essential minerals and vitamins like iodine iron and vitamin A and D should be optimally used. The inclusion of pulses and edible oil in public distribution system as well as nutritional food security act has been proposed by many experts.
- Regular monitoring on real time basis: comprehensive National nutrition survey is the most recent survey on nutritional status of Indian population. The NFHS-5 data collection has been completed and analysed report is expected to be available soon. It will be impaired to that analyse data is made available and used to inform policy decision making the delay in the availability of analysed data the delay the interventions. There is a felt need for improved real-time data recording and reporting system with data flow in two directions is needed. This is possible with use of digital technology.
- Pramod nutrition garden concept: ministry of human resource development has brought the concept of school nutrition garden encouraging eco club of students to help them identify fruits and vegetables best suited for typography soil and climate. Did guardians are intended to give students lifelong skills to identify fruits and vegetable for their plates. This clarifies has the potential to improve nutritional status of population.
- Stablish more cold chain storage capacity for food items across the country: It has been recognised that while India produces a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables significant amount is wasted during sorting/grading, transport, storage in go downs or processing units or with wholeshellers and retailers. Therefore establishing more cold chain stores especially in rural India can contribute to less wastage and improved your availability and thus improve the nutrition for Indian population.
The target for sustainable development goals is 2030 which has nearly dedicate to achieve this.