Indira Awas Yojana

Indira Awas Yojana scheme was primary launched to provide grant for the construction of houses to the members of SCs and STs. It is for freed bonded labourers and to non SC/ST rural poor who live below poverty line. Through it was launched by the central government during 1985-86, under the rural landless employment guarantee programme. It became a sub-scheme under Jawahar rojgar Yojana and scenes 1 January 1996 it has become an independent scheme.

Indira Awas Yojana

The target group covered under Indira Awas Yojana has now been extended to ex-servicemen, widows, next-of-kin of defence personnel and paramilitary forces killed in action, irrespective of the income criteria, subject to the condition that day new rural areas, so far have not been covered under any other project, are in need of shelter or house upgradation.

Indira Awas Yojana
Indira Awas Yojana

There is a 60% reservation for the SC and ST categories and non-SCs and STs constitute the remaining 40%. The identification of beneficiaries is done by the gram sabha after getting the allotment list for each Panchayat from DRDA/Zila Parishad.

There is no approval required from the Panchayat union for the selection done by the gram panchayat, provided the order of priority for selection shall be according to the guidance given in the IAY program.

Dialogue mint of houses is done in the name of the women fall of the family. Alternatively, it can be allotted in the name of both husband and wife. The family labour contribute their entire level to the construction of the houses and no contractor is allowed in the construction of IAY houses.

Measurements of PovertyCauses of Poverty in India
Social ProblemsRural Poverty
Poverty Pains and Problems of PoorAnti Poverty Programmes
Integrated Rural Development ProgrammePoverty Alleviation Measures
Indira Awas Yojana

In other words, the beneficiary or the occupants construct the house with the minimum engagement of skilled labour. Low cost and durable technology and material is used construction which should be eco friendly in nature. The state government provides all necessary information in this regard to the beneficiaries. Provision for drinking water, fuel-efficient chullahs and sanitation is ensured.

Indira Awas Yojana
Indira Awas Yojana

The state government also ensure environmental improvements through social forestry. Involvement of NGOs in supervision, guidance and monitoring of construction is encouraged and especially in the aspect of sanitary latrine and smokeless chulhas.

The monitoring and evaluation is done by the respective state government union territories through DRDA are other agencies. Reputed research institution are engaged to conduct evaluation studies and the report shall be submitted to the Government of India. Remedial action taken based on the evaluation is also be reported to the central government.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.