Our Country : India
India is a country with vast geographical expanse.
- The bay of bengal in the east.
- The arabian sea in the west.
- The Himalayan in the north.
- Indian ocean in the south.
- 2900 km , Kashmir to kanyakumari
- 3200 km , Kuchchh to Arunachal Pradesh
India has great diversity in
- Natural Vegetation
- Wild life
Seven countries that share boundary with India
Sri lanka is separated by palk strait.
- Located in nothern hemisphere.
- Tropic of cancer devides the country in to two equal parts.
- 68°7′ E – 97°25′ E
- 37°6′ N – 8°4′ N
- The longitude 82°30’E has been taken as the Indian standard time.
- India devided into states and states devided into district.
- Gujarat is largest state and Goa is the smallest state in the sense of area.
There are diversity of physical features such as mountains, plateau ,plains ,coasts and islands.
The mountain himalyan in east
Him+alya means the abode of snow.
It is divided in to three main parallel ranges.
- Greater himalyan
- Middle himalyan
The northern Indian plains lie to the south of the himalayas.
These are formed by the alluvial deposit laid down by the rivers the ganga, the brahmaputra and their tributaries.
These river plains provide fertile land for cultivation.
Great Indian desert in Western
- It is dry, hot and sandy stretch of land.
Peninsular plateau in the south of the northern plains
- It is triangular in shape.
- This is a region with numerous hill ranges and valleys.
- Aravali hills, one of the oldest hill .
- The Vindhyas and the satpuras are the important ranges. The river Narmada and Tapi flows in these ranges.
Western Ghat & Eastern Ghat
- The plateau is rich in mineral like coal and iron-ore.
- In the west of the Western ghats and in the east of the Eastern ghats lie the coastal plain.
There are a number of east flowing rivers.
These have formed fertile delta at their mouth. The sundarvan delta is formed where the Ganga and Brahmputra flow in to the Bay of Bengal.
Two group of islands also form port of India:
- Lakshadweep island located in arabian sea.
- Coral island located off the coast of Kerala
Andaman and Nicobar island lie to the southeast of the Indian mainland in the bay of Bengal.