There are following bodies mentioned in the constitution of India in this article we will discuss the power and functions of these constitutional bodies.
- Election commission
- Finance commission
- Union Public service commission
- State public service commission
- National commission for SC
- National commission for St
- Special officer for linguistic minorities
- Comptroller and auditor general
- Attorney general of India
- Advocate general of state
Power and functions of of election commission
with regards to the election of the parliament, state legislature, office of President and vice President.
- to prepare and periodically revised electoral rolls and to register all eligible voters.
- to prepare the dates and schedule of elections and to scrutinize nomination papers.
- To grant recognition to political parties and allot election symbol to them.
- To appoint officers for inquiring into dispute relating to electoral arrangement.
- To prepare a roster for publicity of the political parties on radio and TV in times of election.
- To cancel polls in the event of rigging booth capturing violence and other irregularities.
- to determine the territorial areas of the electoral constituencies throughout the country on the basis of delimitation commission act of parliament.
- To request the president of the governor for decreasing the staff necessary for conducting elections.
At state level, the election commission is assisted by the chief electoral officer by the consultant from state government.
At district level, the the collector act as the district returning officer. He appoints presiding officer for every polling booth in the constituency.
Power and function of finance commission
It makes recommendation to the President of India on the following matters.
- the distribution of the net proceeds of taxes to be shared between the centre and the state
- the principles that should given the grants in aid to the states by the centre
- the measures need to augment the consolidated fund of state to supplying the resources of Panchayat and municipalities in the states on the basis of recommendation of the state finance commission.
Power and functions of the union Public service commission
- It conducts for all India services central services public services of the centrally administrated territories.
- it service all are any of the needs of the state on request of the State governor and with the approval of the president of India.
UPSC can be consulted on following
- Methods of recruitment to civil services and civil post.
- appointment promotion and transfer from any one service to another.
- Suitability for the post for promotion transfer from one service to another.
- matters of temporary appointment for period exceeding one year and on the regulations of appointment
UPSC cannot be consulted on the following
- while making reservation of appointment are post in favour of any backward class of citizen while taking into consideration the claim of SC ST in making appointment to post.
Therefore,UPSC is only a central recruiting agency while the department of personnel and training is the central personnel agency in India.
Power and functions of State Public service commission
The power and functions of State Public service commission is the same (in the sense of state) as for UPSC (in the sense of Centre)
Power and functions of national commission for SC
The commission has all the powers of a civil Court trying a suit and in particular in respect of the following matters:
- Summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person from any part of India
- requiring the discovery and production of any document
- receiving evidence on affidavit
- requisitioning any public services from any Court for office.
- Issuing summons for the examination of witness and documents any other matter which the president may determine.
central Government and state government are required to consult the commission on all major policies, matters affecting to SCs.
Power and functions of national commission of STs
The the powers of commission same as the powers national commission for SCs.
Power and functions of National commission of linguistic minorities
- to submit report on the status of implementation of the constitutional and the nationally agreed safeguard for linguistic minorities.
- to monitor the implementation of safeguard through questionary, visits, conferences, seminars, meetings.
Power and functions of comptroller and auditor general of India
- he audits the account related to all expenditure from the consolidated fund of India each state is union territory.
- he audits all expenditure from the contingency fund of India and the public account of India
- he audits all trading manufacturing profits and loss account balance sheet and other subsidiaries account kept by any department of central and state.
- He audits the receipt and expenditure to satisfy himself
- He audits the receipt and expenditure of the following:
All bodies and authorities substantially balance from central and state
other corporation of bodies
6. He audits all transaction of the centre and state government related to dept sinking fund deposit and advances.
7. He compiles and main the accounts of state government.
8. Hi act as the guide friend philosopher of the public account committee of the parliament.
Power and functions of the attorney general of India
the chief law officer of Government of India the duties of attorney general as follows
- to give advice to the Government of India upon such legal matters which are the reffered to him by the President
- to perform such other duties of individual characters that are assigned to him by the president
- to discharge the function conferred on him by the constitution or any other law.
Power and functions of advocate general of state
The chief law officer of government in states duties are as follows
- to give advice to the government of state upon such legal matters which are the FIR to him by the governor.
- To perform such other duties given by governor.
- to discharge the functions conferred on him by the constitution or any other law.