Biology is the science of life forms and living processes. The living world comprises an amazing diversity of living organisms. In the following post “The living world”, we will get a basic description, characteristics of life, some of its important traits, and the basic principles of biology.
- Life is a characteristic distinguishing all physical entities having biological processes, those who do not have biological process and attributes.
- This is because such functions either have ceased in these entities or because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate.
- Biological science is concerned with the study of life.
- Live exists almost everywhere on the planet earth with a wide range of variety of diverse life forms.
- life can be traced to fossils more than 3.4 billion years old and is thus a little younger than the earth, which came into existence about 4.5 billion years ago.
- Each individual is composed of 1 or more minimal living unit, called cells.
Characteristics of Life
- Living things include both the visible world of animals and plants as well as the invisible word of enormous bacteria and viruses.
- All living things have certain characteristics in common they have the power of respiration, nutrition, growth, excretion and reproduction.
- Life takes energy from the environment. this energy, in the form of food, is transformed to maintain metabolic processes and for the survival of the organism.
- Organism: The smallest contiguous unit of life, composed of one or more cells, is called an organism.
- Life is considered a characteristics of something that exhibits all or most of the following traits:
Basic principles of Biology
The foundation of biology based on the following principles:
- Cell theory
- Gene theory
All living organism is composed of cells, which is the basic unit of life.
Traits of all living organism are inherited through gene transmission from parents to the offspring. Gene are located on chromosomes and consist of DNA.
It is a genetic change in a population that is inherited over several generations. These change may be small or large.
This is the ability to maintain a constant internal environment in response to environmental changes.
Energy is constant and energy transformation is not completely efficient.
Top 21 biologists and their contribution
Category Science Sarkarifocus