Unemployment is a serious problem that our government faces. Our leaders are trying their utmost best to solve it wisely. If it is not solved sooner, a social revolution may take plea to have its solution. The main cause of unemployment is the repaid growth of population. Since independence, the populations of India has increased by threes times its total.
When people multiply, there raises the problems of unemployment and it becomes difficult for the government to provide employment to a sufficient number of people.
As a matter of principle, it becomes the duty of government to provide employment to all as far as possible and we are blessed that our government is taking keen interest to solve this series problem of today. As the growth of populations is going unchecked, jobs and services in a given field commonly remains insufficient. When our youths do not find employment despite their best efforts, they get irritated and feel disappointed.
Unemployment is defined as forced are involved family separation from remunerative work of a member of the normal working force during normal working time at normal wages and under normal conditions.
D’Mello had defined it as a condition in which an individual is not in a state of remunerative occupation despite his desire to do so.
Naba hai explain unemployment as “a condition off involuntary idleness”.
The planning commission of India has described a person as marginally unemployed when he remains without work for six months in a year.
Unemployment has three elements
- An individual should be capable of working
- An individual should be willing to work
- An individual must make and effort to find work
A society with full employment has four characteristics
- Individual takes very little time to find remunerative work according to his capabilities and qualifications.
- He is sure of finding remunerative work
- The number of vacant jobs in the society exceeds the number of job seekers,
- Work is available on Adequate remuneration
Types of Unemployment
Unemployment may be classified either as rural and urban are a seasonal and cylical and technological. Urban unemployment has been classified as educational and industrial.
- Seasonal unemployment is inherent in the agricultural sector and certain manufacturing units like sugar and ice factories.
- Agricultural unemployment is called on account of a number of factors.
- The land holdings are so small that even the family members of the working age groups are not observed by the land.
- The nature of work is seasonal.
- Cyclical unemployment is caused because of ups and down in trade and business.
- Industrial unemployment is called because of a large scale migration of people from rural to urban areas, losses incurred by industries, slow growth of industries, competition with foreign industries.
- Technological unemployment is caused due to the introduction of automation or other technological changes in industry or other work places.
- Educational unemployment is caused because the system of education is largely unrelated to life.
According to Mazumdar and Mukherjee if we consider youth with at least high school level of education as educated, oblique picture images as unemployment is much more pronounced among these groups. While the average unemployment rate among youth is 6.8%, among school pass outs it is 12.1%. More than 11% of Indian graduates and post graduates are jobless.
Unemployment among the educated youth on the other hand poses another set of problems. It makes the youth so angry and frustrated that they become militants rebels and a threat to the unity of the country.
The widespread and gruesome education that followed the announcement of the acceptance of The mandal commission recommendation in August September 1990 provides good testimony to the deep emotions that the question of employment stirs among the youth.
There are three types of unemployment, viz., labor class who are not educated, educated persons without possessing any technical qualifications and technical persons such as engineers and technical. Let us implore them one by one.
In case of labor class there are lakhs of people who earn their livelihood daily and gather themselves on some specific place just to find daily employment somewhere. They are not disappointed to a great extends. Sometimes they find employment and sometimes they return to their houses without finding employment.
They are habituated to adjust themselves with the circumstance, though they also become irradiated and disappointed sometimes when problems of food and clothing arise before them. This is the case with general labor of the cities. As regards the agriculture labor of the village, they’re also not disappointed to a great extent as they find seasonal employment very easily in the farms and fields of big farmers.
Since the number of educated persons is increasing day by day, we are not in a position to afford a venue of work for this growing number. As such our educated persons are very much disappointed when they wander dark roads in search of employment. As they do not possess any technical and practical training, they only try to find clerical job which are not sufficiently according to the increasing number of educated persons. It has become a very ticklish problem which is being faced by our government.
As regards educated persons, possessing technical qualifications, they tend to be frustrated when they do not find employment despite their best qualifications. There can be in no two opinions that they find their employment very easily on the merits of their technical qualifications, but according to the increasing number of such educated persons also become victims of unemployment.
Education is a very good thing and one must be educated but the irony of it is that when we offer educations to young people we are not in position to offer jobs to them. This is the very cause of disappointment among our educated youths.
The educated youth should change their mind also and they should think of self-employment, rather than searching jobs and services hither and there wasting their energy. In this way very serious problem of unemployment may be saved to a great extent.